Speech Therapy

5/13/2010

My twenty-six-month-old son Benjamin went to speech therapy today for the second time. First, let me say, that I am so glad that we got into the therapist so quickly after his evaluation. I had heard that it could take months to get in because of the demand, but it only took about three weeks to get a weekly appointment time set up.

So we were at the appointment, and I'm not sure if I didn't hear her last week, but the therapist thinks Ben has Apraxia.

Apraxia is a disorder caused by damage to specific areas of the cerebrum, characterized by loss of the ability to execute or carry out learned purposeful movements, despite having the desire and the physical ability to perform the movements. – from Wikipedia.

From what I've been reading on the internet, the prognosis looks good, but only after a lot of intervention. I am already full of questions that I want to ask at next week's session, but I'm torn because I don't want to take time away from Ben's therapy to have the therapist answer my questions. I guess I am in for a lot of internet time this week so that I can be armed with as much information as possible. But I still think I'll have a ton of questions...
  •  Do we need to get him involved in an early childhood intervention program?  And if so, how do we do that and where would we go?
  • Is speech therapy once a week enough?
  • Is this something that could be "cured," or will he have to struggle all of his life.
  • What steps should we take next?
This is all so new, so overwhelming.  Hopefully knowledge will bring clarity.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Just happened upon your blog. Hope your little guy is doing well. My son has Apraxia. I have enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts